We work closely with our clients to strengthen their messaging through a process of testing and refinement.
A typical engagement generally includes these elements:
- A consultation: We start out broadly: What are you trying to communicate? What is your opposition saying? We want to hear your best arguments, and where you might be vulnerable.
- A plan: We map out a way to test your messaging with a group of respondents. We take the lead in working with you to arrange the logistics.
- Coordination: We handle the logistics for the test, including recruiting audience members that fit a particular demographic or psychographic profile. On the day of testing we handle all on-site room and audience preparation.
- The dial test execution. This is a four-step process usually conducted over the course of two hours. It typically includes four steps:
A) a pre-video survey to benchmark attitudes toward—and knowledge of—the subject matter;
B) a continuous, moment-to-moment dial test, to determine audience agreement with the material as it is being delivered;
C) a post-video survey to determine how knowledge and attitudes may have changed; and
D) a focus-group discussion, based upon the findings from the dial test, to determine why the audience responded as it did to the presentation content.
- Results interpretation. We pinpoint the weak segments of your messaging, and combine that information with the pre- and post-video survey findings and the focus group comments. We look both for trends and anomalies.
- Written report of findings. This focuses on actionable recommendations for improvements. This detailed report dissects your entire messaging platform, pointing out the weak spots and making extensive recommendations for improvements in reaching future audiences. Typically we tell you what worked well, what needs minor tweaking, and what needs significant overhaul. For tests where we divide the audience by age, gender, or other pre-determined factors, the report breaks out the results by sub-group.
- Revision and Re-test. We work closely with you and your team to make changes to your messaging, and encourage you to re-test it in front of another audience.
- Presentation of findings. We provide this in person or online. We include highlights from the dial tests of how the audience reacted to your messaging.